As your holiday trip date nears, the excitement will definitely increase. No matter where you are going, the anticipation of a well-earned break is always there. The lead up to your holiday can feel like an age, and all that you can think about is getting to your destination to relax and unwind. Before you can do this, however, there is always the journey itself to think about. It is advised to plan thoroughly before you embark on your trip. Little things like making sure that all of your travel documents and money are easily accessible can aid in the experience no end. Most people dread the actual travelling part of the holiday, but there are many things that you can do to make that journey as stress-free and smooth as possible. This article will give you some great tips on what you need to do to have the best journey possible.
Keeping Yourself Busy
If you are taking long-distance flights, it can be quite stressful. In some cases, you will be on a plane for 20 hours and a lot of that time will involve stopovers in unfamiliar countries. Here are some great ways to keep yourself occupied if you find yourself on a long haul flight:
- Get a good book: It doesn’t matter what genre the book is as long as it is exciting and gripping. Thriller and Mystery novels are always a good bet. The latest Grisham novel perhaps or The Hunger Games series are my favorites!
- Puzzle books: You like Sudoku? Puzzle games like this will keep your mind busy. It is always a good way to keep you occupied. This could also be a way to engage the person sitting next to you. Your seatmate doesn’t know this puzzle game? Teach him! Who knows, he might like it! Even if you do not want to buy a puzzle book you can print them off the internet!
- Exercise: You should really be doing this anyway, but a little stroll down the aisle or having a stretch can help out massively. Most intercontinental airliners have big spaces at the back part of the plane. Here, you can do some stretching, bending, push-ups, sit-ups or even yoga! One passenger I saw was doing basic tai-chi!
- Hand-held games: If you’re into the latest gadgets, then bring them all! Well, at least some of them. Although, some gadgets can be loud, make sure you tone down the volume. These can be great fun and again a great way to keep your mind engaged.
- Sleep: This is probably the best way to pass the time. Many people do find it difficult to sleep whilst travelling, and it is important not to drink any alcohol. For one, you will wake up needing to go to the bathroom. The best thing to do is to get as tired as possible so that you can easily get some good rest.
There are many other great things to do to help pass the time as quickly as possible. Most airlines have excellent online entertainment. There will be hundreds of TV shows and movies for you to watch. What I usually do is put a plan together of how long the flight will take and plan my TV watching accordingly. For example, if you are taking a 14-hour flight, that is about 7 movies. One last thing that I would say is, a good way to keep you occupied is to talk to the person sitting next to you. You will be surprised, and maybe you will get some new and unknown tips on your destination.
Arriving At Your Destination
Arriving at a new place can be quite unnerving. If you are not familiar with the country and people, then it would be advised to read up so that you know exactly what to expect. This can also help with moving the time quickly when travelling. If you are travelling long haul then you are probably going somewhere that is completely unknown to you, but there is no reason to be nervous. Travelling to new places is an amazing way to learn new things and broaden the mind. It is an imperative life experience and will help you in the long run. A great way to see more places and perhaps break up a long journey is to stop over for a few days at a different place. If you are about to embark on a 15-hour plus journey then, why not break it up with a couple of days in a new place? You will be amazed at the different places that are available on your trip, and in a lot of cases it will actually bring down the total cost of your journey.
A Little Goes A Long Way
If you do a bit of research online, you can find some amazing deals on cheap flights. The most important thing is to make sure that you have the best time possible. If you start your holiday by stressing too much, then it may have a negative effect on the rest of your holiday experience. Prepare and make sure that there are no surprises on your trip. If you do this you will not regret it, and it will be so much easier for you. As you will see, there are so many ways to make the trip go as effortless as possible, so take advantage of this and enjoy your trip.
Ariana Louis is a very keen voyager and has spent a lot of time traveling long distances to new and amazing places. She gives valuable advice in her articles and blogs. Ariana is often helped by Travel Republic reviews each time she plans to book a trip.