For visitors wanting to learn more about the Mother City, a tour of Cape Town is not to be missed. Cape Town was recently voted the top travel destination in the world by TripAdvisor – an accolade that stands testament to the city’s wide range of tourist attractions. A mild Mediterranean climate coupled with beautiful beaches, diverse culture and plenty of landmarks makes Cape Town a popular city to visit all year round. Some of the things that you may discover on a city tour of Cape Town include the following:
- The Blue Flag beaches of Camps Bay and Clifton – situated along the Atlantic Coastline, these beaches are famous for their expanse of white sand. The cool Atlantic Ocean may not be the warmest waters for swimming, but are excellent for boat cruises and other pursuits. The views offered by these beaches are also outstanding, set against the Twelve Apostles mountain range as a dramatic backdrop.
- Bo Kaap, the Cape Malay Quarter – the colourful houses of the Bo Kaap are a highlight of any Cape Town city tour. Miraculously bypassed from the forced removals during the Apartheid era, the Bo Kaap has retained much of its culture and original architecture. Purple, turquoise, pink and orange cottages are set on steep cobbled streets, which lie high above the city on the slopes of Signal Hill. The Bo Kaap Museum, Spice Market and restaurant serving up traditional Cape Malay cuisine are a must-see.
- South African Museum and the Company Gardens – for history buffs any anyone who enjoys learning, the SA Museum offers a glimpse into South Africa’s history. A range of exhibits are displayed in rooms that range from the pre-historic days, with natural history as well as cultural history displayed. The museum is situated in the Company Gardens, where you will find landscapes gardens, fish ponds, a colourful aviary and plenty of squirrels.
- Table Mountain – an optional highlight of a Cape Town city tour is a visit to the iconic landmark of Table Mountain. The mountain has become Cape Town’s trademark, and for locals, it even acts as a way to give directions. On a clear day, the flat top is clearly seen, while on a cloudy day the mountain’s ‘table cloth’ appears. A trip up the cable car offers panoramic views of the city below, with excellent photographic opportunities.
- Green Market Square – this thriving market square dates back to the Cape’s early years, and retains much of its old charm. Here you will find a range of African curios, jewellery and other items. The market is set on cobble stones, in the heart of the city centre. Surrounded by tall buildings and fascinating architecture, you will soon get a sense of Cape Town in the early 1900s as you explore the oldest part of the CBD on your Cape Town city tour.
- Oh, and views of course…
Photo by: Marc Smith
Photo by: EGuideTravel
Photo by: H Dragon
This is merely a taste of what this fantastic city at the southern most point of the African continent has to offer. This, coupled with the hospitality and enthusiasm of the people of South Africa, make Cape Town a simply unforgettable experience.